Latest

Roland-Garros ticket sales start tomorrow but no VIP Hospitality information yet

The rescheduled Roland-Garros 2020 tournament, which will be held from September 21 to October 11, has confirmed that ticket sales will start July 9 for priority purchasers who are members of FTF-licensed clubs and then a week later, on July 16, for the general public.

The Roland-Garros website also has a link to official VIP Hospitality packages but this just says, ‘Pending’.

Tickets are being offered for all Roland-Garros matches, the qualifying rounds (men’s and women’s), the men’s and women’s singles and doubles, the junior singles and doubles (boys’ and girls’), and the wheelchair tennis and quad events.

Don’t forget that despite the rescheduling pushing the second Grand Slam of the year well into autumn, this tournament’s spectators will be the first to benefit from the protection of the new Roland-Garros roof, as covered by The DAIMANI Journal at the end of May.

The French Tennis Federation has stressed that if the response to the coronavirus improves, ‘more tickets may be put on sale at the beginning of September. However, if the situation requires more stringent hygiene standards that force us to reduce the number of spectators on site, the tournament organisers will refund any supplementary tickets sold’.

Tickets to the three show courts (Philippe-Chatrier, Suzanne-Lenglen and Simonne-Mathieu) will be sold by day, court and seat category but purchasers will not be told the exact position of their seat in mid-September.

The FTF’s implementation of public health protocols means that on the three show courts, the tiered seating will follow a specific protocol:

  1. on every row, one seat will be left empty between every group of purchasers (a maximum of 4 people who wish to sit in adjacent seats).
  2. On the outside courts, every other seat will be out of bounds, and spectators may sit in any of the available seats.
  3. This way, the number of spectators allowed inside the stadium will be 50 percent to 60% of its usual capacity, allowing us to ensure the barrier measures are respected.

Additional protocols outlined by the FTF in their press release include:

  • The FTF will change the way spectators move around inside the stadium to ensure that the barrier measures and social distancing are respected.
  • Though they recommend wearing a mask in the vicinity of the stadium and whenever standing or sitting in the stands this is not obligatory. But any spectators moving around the 12-hectare site of Roland-Garros stadium will be obliged to wear a mask.
  • The layout of the various spaces will be adapted according to the current health guidelines, namely to ensure social distancing is respected.
  • Finally, the cleaning and disinfecting of the various areas will be stepped up and distributers of hydro-alcoholic solution will be installed.
Rafael Nadal dropped into the Tennis Channel’s studios at Roland-Garros for a Spanish inquisition during a rest day in last year’s championships. A week later he picked up his 12thmen’s singles title with a 4-set defeat of Austrian Dominic Thiem.
Author image
Charlie Charters is a former rugby union official and sports marketing executive turned thriller writer whose debut book Bolt Action was published by Hodder & Stoughton in 2010.
You've successfully subscribed to The DAIMANI Journal
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access to The DAIMANI Journal
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.