If you feel that what your life has been missing since the coronavirus pandemic was declared on March 11 is the opportunity to enjoy in one place over a hundred private yachts averaging over 180-feet long then the good news is that Monaco Yacht Show will take place as originally scheduled in September!
After much speculation, then a bust-up between organisers and two of the Yacht Show’s biggest client groups, the Principality of Monaco and show organisers Informa have re-confirmed that the show will go ahead from September 23 to 26 [the Wednesday to Saturday in the first week of the rescheduled French Open at Roland-Garros].
A press release to that effect pledged that the show would operate under ‘the highest standards of hygiene and cleanliness’.
Organisers Informa also said the show operate as a not-for-profit event to help support the ‘speedy recovery’ of the yachting industry. Those interested in exhibiting can do so by clicking through here.
The first announcements of event partners, sponsors and exhibitors is expected to be announced later this month.
The government of Monaco has directed Informa ‘to prioritize the health and safety of all participants, while providing direct support to the international yachting community, ensuring it can connect with customers and accelerate the recovery of what is an increasingly important industry for the region,’ said Jean Castellini, pictured, the minister of finance and economy for Monaco.
Informa said the yacht show will be organised with its AllSecure health and safety standards. Please click here for more information on these health protocols which have been specifically designed for the particular challenges of the exhibition industry.
Informa has promised enhanced measures ‘to provide the highest levels of hygiene and safety at its events, providing everyone with reassurance and confidence they are participating in a safe and controlled environment.’
The reconfirmation-of-dates last week followed news earlier in the month that two of the main exhibiting groups, the Superyacht Builders Association (SYBAss) and Large Yacht Brokers Association (LYBRA), were pulling out of the show because of coronavirus concerns, as well as other unspecified issues with the show’s organizers.
SYBAss’ membership accounts for 21 of the world’s largest group of superyacht builders, while LYBRA includes the eight largest brokerage firms in Europe and the US. Taken together, they accounted for nearly three-quarters of the superyachts on display in last year’s show.
Informa said that with control measures being ‘steadily relaxed’ in Monaco, around Europe and internationally, that the timing of the show, from September 23-26, would allow for a ‘carefully staged event to still take place” this year.
‘As we move to the other side of the pandemic, all parts of the industry need to work collaboratively to ensure a speedy return and recovery, said Charlie McCurdy, CEO of Informa, in the statement. ‘We are playing our part by hosting a not-for-profit Monaco Yacht Show in 2020, providing an opportunity for the community to come together, share ideas, meet with customers and start to rebuild positive momentum.’